Midland Ancestors Group has a schedule of trips to The National Archives in London. Remaining date for the current year is –
28th Oct – with talk by LDS. Trip info here
Our National Archives trips are always on Saturdays.
We look forward to the usual regulars travelling and welcome all new researchers. For the trips shown above, or suggestions for any other places, please contact Phil the organiser here email@example.com
Come back to this page in a month or so and learn the dates for 2018 trips.
The National Archives
The National Archives is the final resting place of all files and documents created by the various departments of HM Government and its predecessors. On more than 100 miles of shelving there can be found 11 million+ documents, your ancestor is very likely in there somewhere. Bear in mind only about 4% of these files have been digitised and published via pay per view websites. There is only one way to see any of the other 96%, and that is you have to go there !
On the National Archives home page you will see many recent updates, particularly to show visitor rules and floor plans. There are some changes concerning Readers Tickets, how to obtain one and when it needs to be used. For more information about TNA open up a new Tab here
A Readers Ticket can be applied for on-line before your visit, but you can only get physical possession of it in person. A photograph of you (taken by them) is imprinted upon the Readers Ticket. Initially a short on-line tutorial covering document handling information needs to be completed. You can open a new Tab for the TNA website here and see specific information about Reader Tickets.
The LDS resources formerly at the London Family History Centre near Hyde Park and now temporarily housed at The National Archives will be there into 2019. A new location has been found for them but this is still under development. Browse the centres website in a new Tab here http://www.londonfamilyhistory.org to see what is available.
Our next trip booking list is now open, dates at top of this page. Booking Forms can be found in The Midland Ancestor, you may photocopy it to keep your magazine complete if you wish. Alternatively I can send one in pdf format by email for you to print, please email me firstname.lastname@example.org
Coach pickup points and times can be found here
The coach can go on the London Metropolitan Archives when it is open and there is sufficient interest. Please send your enquiry to me at the email address above.
See here for what you might have missed in August
All Bookings are based on the Acceptance by trippers of the Rules below.
Coach Trip Rules
- All bookings must be paid for in advance, no money accepted on the coach.
- Bookings taken on the basis of first come first served.
- Bookings are considered firm only when paid for in full, meaning the organiser (me) being in receipt of your cheque or cash.
- Coach seats allocated on the day upon boarding.
- Final Bookings date is 10 days before the trip date for Archive offices, 28 days for Fairs (where tickets are purchased by the Society).
- Any cancellations after such times, monies are non-
refundable. When Fairs Entrance Tickets are purchased by the society, (i.e. monies paid out) on trippers behalf, then no Refunds after purchase by the society.
- Substitutes/name changes after the 10 days to cover others dropping out will be from the trip organiser’s waiting list.
- Organisers of sub-
groups act as BMSGH agent and must ensure those sub- group members are acquainted with these rules.
- All trips subject to enough interest to make the trip economically viable and a suitable vehicle being available.
- Bookings by trippers made on the basis of acceptance of these rules. Making a booking confers upon the tripper the obligation to turn up on time so not inconveniencing anyone else on the coach.
- Organiser’s decisions are final.